Sunday, June 19, 2011

Where To Begin?

As Ive said hubby came home on R&R and we did some things that I wanted him to be there for like Lil C's allergy test. It was a skin prick test and if you have ever had one, you know they suck. They prick your back with dozens upon dozens of stuff you could be allergic to and make you wait there while your back is itchy and hurts. Turns out, hes allergic to pretty much everything he likes to eat: wheat, bananas, oranges, peas, peanuts, oats, soy, peaches, onions, shrimp, corn, squash and probably more. I keep having to refer to the test results because its so bizarre to me. Who is allergic to corn? Special diet here we come!
We also went to see his developmental pediatrician and he was officially diagnosed with PDD-NOS which is on the autism spectrum. I always knew as a Mommy always does but its still hard to accept/admit. Therefore in addition to all the rest of what has to be taken out of his diet Im also taking out dairy/casein. Theres an "autism" diet that many have seen awesome results with and since its only one more thing to take out I figured its worth a shot. It limits an already limited special diet because of his allergies but if it helps Im willing to give it a go. Special diets have been known to help many diseases and help people live the best lives they can so it makes sense to me. Im not going to get too detailed about it. Just know that probably a good 80% of our food is going to come from Whole Foods or online specialty stores which is going to be pretty pricey for a family of 4. Yep, we're all going to do this diet. All for one and one for all.
If you read all this and are still with me, heres a few goodies I have found as of late!



8 comments:

  1. love the purse!Sorry to hear about you lil one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being allergic to things is so crappy, but great spirit that you are all getting on board and doing it as a family :)
    Love the wicker purse and glasses ♥

    ReplyDelete
  3. Poor you guys! That is going to be a tough journey doing the special diet thing.. hope it works out well and good luck to y'all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have a Trader Joes near you? They have similar stuff as Whole Foods, and I've heard it's cheaper. I also love that purse! I've been trying to find the perfect wicker purse for a while

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sorry to hear about your little one's allergies. I do love that bag! Scarlett x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks gals! I havent heard of a Trader Joes being around but Ill definitely look into it. We have to drive an hour to Nashville just to get to Whole Foods so if Trader Joes is closer with the same stuff that would be a major plus.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had a special diet as a kid in the 70s. No preservatives, no food coloring, no artificial colors or flavors, nitrates, sulfites, and no caffeine (sodas). School lunchtime was hard because all my friends got tasty things in their lunch like fruit punch, chips, and Ho-hos! Instead, I got organic wheat bread, organic peanut butter, celery sticks, and skim milk. Halloween was the worst since I couldn't eat most of the candy people gave out!

    I eventually grew out of my allergies but I am still highly sensitive to most sulfites. Sulfites are in most beers and wine. Even bottled waters! I just stick to organics and martinis (lol!) and I ok. I just read lots of labels.

    I did some checking and it looks like there is a Trader Joe's in Nashville. They are great! Their frozen food section is amazing! Their veggie lasagna and frozen pizzas are divine! All natural too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Tara thanks! Yeah I checked too and its actually RIGHT down the street from Whole Foods LOL. Im planning a trip up there but *sigh* where to begin with him. He is on the autism spectrum and so he has stuck with the same group of foods since he was 1 and slowly was adding a few (mostly junk type foods but because he restricted himself SO much I really wasnt going to stop him from that cookie or Doritos ya know? Ive been pleading with him to try new foods for 2 years so when he did I was thankful) Anyways, everything he likes he is allergic to. The wheat in the pretzels, the oatmeal cookies, Cheerios, peas (yes, my kid LIKES peas or did) So Im stuck with trying to find something he isnt allergic to that he actually will try. Somewhat impossible considering he refuses most foods allergy related or not. We are going to start feeding therapy because of this. Whew. Long reply. Yes but thankfully as you pointed out alot of people outgrow them and thats what I hope for.

    ReplyDelete